Heartburn is an irritation of the esophagus that is caused by stomach acid. This can create a burning discomfort in the breast bone.
Causes of heartburn the cause of heartburn is when your lower esophageal sphincter becomes weakened or relaxes abnormally. The lower esophageal sphincter is a circular band of muscle at the bottom of your esophagus. Normally when you swallow, your lower esophageal sphincter relaxes to let food and liquid flow down into your stomach. Then it closes again. When this happens the acid in your stomach can flow back up into your esophagus. Since your esophagus doesn’t have the same protective lining your stomach does, the acid can irritate it’s more sensitive tissues. This can trigger heartburn discomfort.
Food that can cause heartburn
- Tomatoes, tomato sauce and ketchup
- Oranges,grapefruit and other citrus fruits and juices
- Carbonated drinks
- Coffee, tea or other caffeinated products
- Mustard,pepper and other spices
Habits that may trigger heartburn
- Eating large meals or eating too fast
- Laying down right after eating
- Stress and anxiety
- Drinking alcohol and smoking
- Exercising soon after eating
Remedies for heartburn
- A spoonful of baking soda
- Aloe juice
- Eat a banana or Apple
- Gingerroot tea
- Snack on almonds
- A cup of chamomile
- Heartburn tablets
- Avoid alcohol and smoking
Most people suffer heartburn because of lack of knowledge and end up putting their health at risk. Reference of this article are adopted from internet and google.